The program is designed to provide students the opportunity to develop their skills in evidence-based practice, quality healthcare, practice-based research and the provision of high quality addiction services. The program is aligned with the Level 9 of the Qualifications Framework for the UAE approved by The Board of the National Qualifications Authority (NQA) known as the QF Emirates. The program will support further development of self-reliance and an independent approach to learning in support of professional development.
- Program Title:
- Master of Science in Addiction Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Addiction Science
- Program duration:
- MSc 2 years (41 credits)
- PG Diploma 1 year (24 credits)
- Degree conferred by Dubai Medical College
- Delivery Site: Dubai Medical College and ERADA Center
B. Program aims
The program is intended to:
- To produce Addiction Clinical Practitioners capable of providing specialized health care services in hospital and other environments.
- To help the graduates to become licensed practitioners in Addiction Psychiatry, Addiction Rehab Specialists and Addiction Specialist Nurses, based on the professional background, program concentration and according to their licensing authority regulations.
- To produce confident and knowledgeable Addiction Science Practitioners and Law Enforcement Officers to work in the field of addiction.
- To enhance the addiction clinical practitioners’ role as members of healthcare teams by improving their communication, managerial, clinical and research skills.
- To provide a pathway towards academia as a career in Addiction.
- To provide learning opportunities to enhance critical thinking and the development of autonomous lifelong learners.
1- Applicants for the course should possess a Bachelor of Science or MBBCh or bachelor’s degree in related discipline with a minimum of Grade C or GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0, or its equivalent as approved by the UAE Ministry of Education, UAE. Health care practitioners, social workers, clinical psychologists, police officers are anticipated to apply. Any applicant who does not meet this criterion should have relevant professional work experience and approval of the program committee
2- An applicant is required to fulfill English language proficiency by displaying minimum TOEFL score of 550 on the Paper-Based, 213 on the Computer-Based, or 79 on the Internet-Based test, or its equivalent in a standardized English language test, such as 6.0 IELTS, however, with following exceptions:
- A native speaker of English who has completed her undergraduate education in an English-medium institution and in a country where English is the official language;
- An applicant with an undergraduate qualification from an English-medium institution who can provide evidence of acquiring a minimum TOEFL score of 500 on the Paper-Based test, or its equivalent on another standardized test approved by the Commission, at the time of admission to their undergraduate program.
3- Male and female, both will be admitted. It will be a co-educational course.
The following documents should be submitted along with the application form. The original certificates is to be brought in person by the applicant at the time of interview.
- Attested Bachelor degree.
- Mark-sheet of the examination passed
- Six passport size color photographs.
- Birth certificate.
- Character certificate from the Head of the institution last attended.
- Copy of the passport and resident visa (for expatriate students only).
- Medical certificate.
- Required result of TOEFL/ IELTS/any standardized exams as prescribed by the MoE
- Copy of UAE National ID.
- Two reference letters
- The date of receipt of application is 1st of May 2019. The candidates apply online through the website by filling up an application form. The applicants are notified about their eligibility status by an admission officer through email.
- The candidates will be invited for an interview and an oral presentation. The dates will be notified to all eligible candidates. Selected candidates will receive acceptance letters. Other candidates who are wait-listed will be considered later if required. On making the payments, the accepted students are enrolled in the MSc/ PG Diploma program
Student intake will be a maximum of 20 students per year.
Dubai Medical College (DMC) accepts transfer of students from accredited College with a curriculum that is comparable to that offered at DMC. The transfer of students is not allowed after second semester of first year. The following are the necessary conditions for transfer to the DMC from other colleges:
1-Students must meet the English language proficiency requirements such as minimum TOEFL score of (79 IBT) or 6.0 in IELTS.
2- DMC requires applicants to submit their transcripts for evaluation of transferable subjects /teaching hours from previous college experiences. The student must provide a letter of application to the Dean of the College specifying reason(s) for requesting transfer and desired date of transfer.
3- All applicants must provide conduct certificates from the College where they are currently enrolled. No student who has been dismissed from any College will be eligible for transfer to DMC
4- The student transferring from another accredited college must be in a good academic standing (CGPA of 3 on a scale of 4.0, or its equivalent) in BSc
5- The student must have earned a grade of “B” or better in the course. No more than six credit hours of graduate work may be transferred from another institution. The courses must be graduate level and have been taken for graduate credit at the accredited institution.
6- The final decision for approval of transfer will be made by the Dean after review of the transfer request.
Clinical Facilities at ERADA
The clinical facilities at ERADA provide a valuable opportunity for the students to train in real-life inpatient and outpatient setting. The powerful Wi-Fi system at the ERADA center will help students and faculty members for seamless communication and transfer of learning materials.
A classroom with capacity for 15 students and a reading room, ward review rooms will be available for students at ERADA center. These locations will be booked for students on the days of their posting by the coordinator.