Dubai Medical College Research Strategy
- Enhance research excellence, expressed in the production of quality, high impact and citation research articles and oral presentations, in national and international conferences.
- Focus on developing “research active” individuals, teams and students.
- Provide financial and logistic support to maximize the chances of success.
- Maintain success momentum through the use of this effort and published valuable work by the University faculty and students in enhancing external research grants success opportunities.
- Appropriately use proven advances in world research to enhance and develop the curricula of DMC, in line with international developments and professional guidelines.
Strategic objectives :
- Developing distinctive “areas of research excellence” with relevance to UAE and Middle East societies, e.g., addiction, diabetes and obesity, metabolic syndrome.
- Encouraging and organizing the allocation of “Internal Research Funds”, from DMC, and from the collaborating bodies, to enhance the research activity by supporting the currently research-active teams and providing incentive
for other teams to join the research activity.
- Targeting charities and other funding bodies in the Public and Private sectors in UAE and regionally for “External Research Funds” through encouraging and supporting the application of research proposals that fall in the fields of interest of the funding bodies. The academic and clinical collaboration is a point of strength that will enhance quality, and maximize the potential of success for grant applications.
- Developing “the Research Skills of the faculty and students” through the organization of series of research and statistics practical courses to be run at appropriate intervals, e.g., SPSS training, workshops on quantitative and qualitative research designs, data analysis and interpretation. Critical appraisal and academic writing skills will be targeted through a series of interactive seminars or workshops to be led by more experienced researchers at DMC. These will be run periodically and will be open for research active or interested Faculty and students.
- To develop “Research Themes” in response to recent developments in the fields of interest of the Faculty of DMC and collaborating clinical centers, and in line with the envisaged demand and needs of the UAE and Middle East societies. “Theme Leads” will emerge (or are selected) according to interests and expertise within the different research active teams.
- Research themes will be appropriately modified according to evidence of excellence, e.g. highly rated publications, newly developed international guidelines or in response to success of research active teams in oral presentations in international conferences or success in raising external research funds.
The Current themes :
- – Mental health and addiction.
- – The metabolic syndrome, obesity and diabetes.
- – Gastro-intestinal and hepatic research.
- – Cancer research.
- – Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of drugs
- – Healthcare education.
- To establish regular “Journal Club” meetings to critically discuss selected research articles in a multidisciplinary environment. Meetings will be open for interested Faculty and students. The selected articles will be made known on DMC and collaborating clinical centers intranet sites well in advance of the meeting scheduled date and time to maximize attendance. Sandwiches and drinks will be made freely available as an incentive.
- Promoting collaboration in research between DMC and collaborating clinically focused centers, e.g., ERADA, DHA Hospitals and other national and international research active centers
- To involve the students in research activity by encouraging them to join the collaborating multi-center research active groups, share in the research activity, and attend seminars and research conferences
- To establish and maintain close “Relationship with National Research Partners” to enhance the research activity valuable to health care sector in UAE and the Region. Currently, we are actively participating in the establishment of an Online Platform for Research Collaboration between academic centers, industrial bodies and UAE Government departments in order to maximize research activity in the UAE and facilitate the industrial applications.
- Encouraging DMC Faculty to become Members of Editorial Boards and Academic Reviewers for local Journals, e.g.,Hamdan Medical Journal and the International Journal of Diabetes and Metabolism. We currently have several members on the boards of these two journals. These long-term policies will enhance research potential and build up the reputation of DMC as a Center for research excellence.
- To implement a support mechanism for the Theme Leads and other Faculty to “attend national and international conferences” to stay in touch with the state-of-the-art developments in their areas of expertise and interests. They will be expected to report a synopsis of the meetings during scheduled seminars attended by all research active groups and other interested Faculty, in order to maximize the benefits to as many individuals as possible. The Theme Leads will be encouraged to adopt a supporting and mentoring attitude towards less experienced members of all the teams and students.
- To review the “Teaching Workload” of research active Faculty and consider the importance for “allocating a percent of time”, e.g., one day a week, for the Faculty to undertake research activity and improve skills of academic writing, composing good research proposals and grant applications.
- To establish effective continuous systems for recording and tracking the “Research Projects and Output”; and the Minutes” of the DMC Research and Ethics Committee” and other sub-committee meetings.